Papaw Sellar’s Spicy Carolina Cornbread
My papaw was one crazy son of a gun. Every Sunday, he would cook up this special recipe for supper. It would really punch me in the gut the rest of the week.
3 tablespoons shortening (Papaw used fresh lard…. bacon drippings are awesome, too!)
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
14 Ghost Peppers (pureed)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°.
2. Put the shortening in a cast-iron skillet and place in the oven till melted.
3. Combine the cornmeal and flour. In separate bowl whisk eggs until foamy then whisk in buttermilk. Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the cornmeal mixture.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix should be pourable. Take the hot skillet from the oven, pour the batter into the hot pan directly onto the melted hot shortening, this is what makes it so killer good!
5. Place back in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown or when knife inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Bing. Bam. Boom.